By: Bettina in Miami, FL
Me and my European continent jet lag arrived in sunny Miami to cook for my cousin’s baby shower. She’s more like my sister and she deserves it so I did it with a smile. 😉
I made three dishes for 50 people. Massaged Kale Salad with apples, mango and sunflower seeds. I am happy to see that Miami is now offering Lacinato kale at the supermarkets. Six months ago you could only get curly kale. I was also delighted to hear various 60 year old ladies excited “try kale” as they had heard about it but never tasted it. Who would have thought? I also made a different version of my take on Sami Tamimi and Yotam Ottolenghi’s Herbed Green Couscous. I make it with quinoa and whatever herbs I have on hand. And finally I was going to make bite-sized phyllo dough cups with tomato confit and goat cheese but I couldn’t find the phyllos anywhere so I ended up with something accidentally healthier: Tomato Confit and Goat Cheese Whole Wheat Pies.
TOMATO CONFIT & GOAT CHEESE PIES
Yields: Two pies
- 2 Whole Wheat pie shells
- 2 red onions
- 3 – 16 oz crates of tomatoes
- 10 sprigs of fresh thyme
- salt to taste
- Bake whole wheat pie crusts at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Saute sliced onions, I like red, for 10 minutes on medium heat. Sprinkle with salt.
- Add tomatoes and cover. Cook for 10 minutes more.
- Add fresh thyme (10 sprigs, de-stemmed).
- Pour into cooked pie shells.
- Sprinkle with goat cheese.